Staples, Inc. (SPLS) – Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the companys businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalData to bring to you a clear and an unbiased view of the companys key strengths and weaknesses and the potential opportunities and threats. The profile helps you formulate strategies that augment your business by enabling you to understand your partners, customers and competitors better.
The profile contains critical company information including:
– Business description A detailed description of the companys operations and business divisions.
– Corporate strategy Analysts summarization of the companys business strategy.
– SWOT Analysis A detailed analysis of the companys strengths, weakness, opportunities and threats.
– Company history Progression of key events associated with the company.
– Major products and services A list of major products, services and brands of the company.
– Key competitors A list of key competitors to the company.
– Key employees A list of the key executives of the company.
– Executive biographies A brief summary of the executives employment history.
– Key operational heads A list of personnel heading key departments/functions.
– Important locations and subsidiaries A list and contact details of key locations and subsidiaries of the company.
– Detailed financial ratios for the past five years The latest financial ratios derived from the annual financial statements published by the company with 5 years history.
– Interim ratios for the last five interim periods The latest financial ratios derived from the quarterly/semi-annual financial statements published by the company for 5 interims history.
Staples, Inc. (Staples) is a retailer and distributor of office equipment, furniture, technology and related products. The company’s product portfolio include office supplies including paper, print, document services, office machine and related products, computers and related products and furniture to large, medium and small businesses, government offices and consumers. It offers more than 10,000 own brand products and services. Staples sells its products across North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. The company also sells its products through internet and direct mail catalog, and others. It operates several distribution and fulfillment centers in 30 states in the US, Canada, Europe, Australia, Asia and Latin America. Staples is headquartered in Framingham, Massachusetts, the US.
The companys strategic aim focuses on investing in its e-commerce capabilities to provide customers with a enhanced shopping experience. In line, the company recently acquired Runa, a software company which assists online retailers to enhance their sales operations.
Staples, Inc. Key Recent Developments
Jun 05, 2013: Bullfrog Power And Staples Announce Partnership For Renewable Power In Canada
Apr 25, 2013: Staples Unveils Solar Power Installation At Global Headquarters In Framingham, Massachusetts
Key benefits of buying this profile include:
You get detailed information about the company and its operations to identify potential customers and suppliers.
– The profile analyzes the companys business structure, operations, major products and services, prospects, locations and subsidiaries, key executives and their biographies and key competitors.
Understand and respond to your competitors business structure and strategies, and capitalize on their weaknesses. Stay up to date on the major developments affecting the company.
– The companys core strengths and weaknesses and areas of development or decline are analyzed and presented in the profile objectively. Recent developments in the company covered in the profile help you track important events.
Equip yourself with information that enables you to sharpen your strategies and transform your operations profitably.
– Opportunities that the company can explore and exploit are sized up and its growth potential assessed in the profile. Competitive and/or technological threats are highlighted.
Scout for potential investments and acquisition targets, with detailed insight into the companies strategic, financial and operational performance.
– Financial ratio presented for major public companies in the profile include the revenue trends, profitability, growth, margins and returns, liquidity and leverage, financial position and efficiency ratios.
Gain key insights into the company for academic or business research.
– Key elements such as SWOT analysis, corporate strategy and financial ratios and charts are incorporated in the profile to assist your academic or business research needs.
Note: Some sections may be missing if data is unavailable for the company
Table of Contents
Section 1 – About the Company 6
Staples, Inc. – Key Facts 6
Staples, Inc. – Key Employees 7
Staples, Inc. – Key Employee Biographies 8
Staples, Inc. – Major Products and Services 9
Staples, Inc. – History 12
Staples, Inc. – Company Statement 15
Staples, Inc. – Locations And Subsidiaries 17
Head Office 17
Other Locations & Subsidiaries 17
Section 2 Company Analysis 20
Staples, Inc. – Business Description 20
Business Description – International Operations 20
International Operations – Overview 20
International Operations – Financials 20
International Operations – Capital Expenditure 21
International Operations – Key Strategies 21
Business Description – North American Commercial 21
North American Commercial – Overview 21
North American Commercial – Financials 21
North American Commercial – Capital Expenditure 21
North American Commercial – Key Strategies 21
Business Description – North American Stores & Online 21
North American Stores & Online – Overview 21
North American Stores & Online – Financials 21
North American Stores & Online – Capital Expenditure 22
North American Stores & Online – Key Strategies 22
Staples, Inc. – Corporate Strategy 23
Staples, Inc. – SWOT Analysis 24
SWOT Analysis – Overview 24
Staples, Inc. – Strengths 24
Strength – Operational Network 24
Strength – Leading Office Products Supplier 24
Strength – Strong Supply Chain Network 24
Staples, Inc. – Weaknesses 25
Weakness – High Operating Costs affecting Margins 25
Staples, Inc. – Opportunities 26
Opportunity – Growth in e-Commerce 26
Opportunity – Acquisition of PNI Digital Media 26
Opportunity – Growth Prospects: Office Equipment Market 26
Staples, Inc. – Threats 27
Threat – Highly Competitive Environment 27
Threat – International and Political Risk 27
Threat – Regulatory Changes 27
Threat – Overdependence on the US Market 27
Staples, Inc. – Key Competitors 28
Section 3 Company Financial Ratios 29
Financial Ratios – Capital Market Ratios 29
Financial Ratios – Annual Ratios 30
Performance Chart 32
Financial Performance 32
Financial Ratios – Interim Ratios 33
Financial Ratios – Ratio Charts 34
Staples, Inc., Recent Deals Summary 35
Section 4 Companys Recent Developments 36
Nov 13, 2014: EnergySage Partners with Staples to Help Americans Save Money by Going Solar 36
Sep 30, 2014: Private Companies, Federal Agencies and National Labs Join Better Buildings Challenge to Drive Greater Efficiency in U.S. Data Centers 37
Section 5 Appendix 39
Ratio Definitions 39
About GlobalData 43
Contact Us 43
List of Tables
Staples, Inc., Key Facts 6
Staples, Inc., Key Employees 7
Staples, Inc., Key Employee Biographies 8
Staples, Inc., Major Products and Services 9
Staples, Inc., History 12
Staples, Inc., Subsidiaries 17
Staples, Inc., Key Competitors 28
Staples, Inc., Ratios based on current share price 29
Staples, Inc., Annual Ratios 30
Staples, Inc., Interim Ratios 33
Staples, Inc., Recent Deals Summary 35
Currency Codes 39
Capital Market Ratios 39
Equity Ratios 40
Profitability Ratios 40
Cost Ratios 41
Liquidity Ratios 41
Leverage Ratios 42
Efficiency Ratios 42
List of Figures
Staples, Inc., Performance Chart (2011 – 2015) 32
Staples, Inc., Ratio Charts 34
An Electronic PDF copy of this Report will be sent to you via email.
Please allow up to 2 business days for the reports to arrive to your mailbox as some of our publishers prefer to send you the reports directly.
Purchase this Report today
Report Licences Explanation
* Single User: Electronic PDF copy delivered via email. Report can be used by individual purchaser only.
* Site License: Electronic PDF copy delivered via email. Report can be shared by unlimited users within one corporate location, e.g. a regional office.
* Enterprise Wide License: Electronic PDF copy delivered via email. Report can be shared globally by unlimited users within the purchasing corporation e.g. all employees of a single company.
If you require a Site License or Enterprise Wide License please contact us to issue you an invoice.